Early stage venture capital (VC) dominated Canadian venture capital investment activities, attracting $1.86 billion or 62% of all venture capital dollars in 2016, according the CPE Media Inc.’s 2016 VC report with data compiled from Private Capital Dealbase.
Late stage type of investments, including growth and late stage investments, raised $746 million in 43 rounds of financing.
Growth stage investments attracted $956 million in 76 rounds of financing while early stage investments secure $1.87 billion from 167 rounds of financing.
Next week we will release VC investment breakdown by Series and special to Canada, the dominance of “un-series” financing in light of the increase of growth type of investments.
Data is complied from Private Capital Dealbase, CPE Media’s all new private capital deal database. Information is collected and cross-verified from numerous public sources.
Venture Capital deals include equity and quasi-equity investments led by professionally managed funds, family offices, private investment firms/merchant banks, corporate strategic investment units, and mutual and hedge fund mangers.
- angel deals or angel deals in between venture rounds;
- subordinate debt investments by federal/provincial governments or retail funds as ways of economic and business support with no equity components;
- grants by federal/provincial economic development agencies or quasi-government agencies such as Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC);
- pure pharmaceutical development deals;
- growth equity with significant minority equity positions.
We are Canada’s only data provider that specifically tracks and provides metrics on venture capital investments by investor type, by source of funding, and fundraising activities.
We provide trusted, unbiased (without undue industry influence), and verified private and public market news and intelligence to all industry stakeholders
Latest posts by CPE Media Analytics (see all)
- First Half VC on torrid pace with 264 financings for $2.9B – CPE Media Analytics - August 28, 2019
- Chinook Therapeutics closes US $65M Series A led by Versant Ventures - August 22, 2019
- First Half of 2019 IPO Results - August 19, 2019