Driven by a number of large deals, Canadian venture capital market bucked global trend with one of best years in history, surpassing the $3 billion mark since 2000.
CPE Media Inc. today released the first of a series of 2016 Canadian venture capital investment activity analyses with data compiled from Private Capital Dealbase.
The study shows Canadian companies received 317 rounds of venture capital financings for aggregate investment amount of $3.02 billion.
Ontario leads as the largest recipient with 133 rounds of financings and $1.63 billion in total amount, capturing 42% of total number of financings and 54% of total investment amount. BC and Quebec with almost identical investment amount are distant second and third, receiving 87 rounds (27%) for $588 million (20%), and 56 rounds (18%) for $581 million (19%), respectively.
Ontario, BC and Quebec collectively received 276 rounds (87%) and $2.8 billion (93%) of the total Canadian investments.
Next in our series analysis – Where did Canadian VC money come from?.
Data is complied from Private Capital Dealbase, CPE Media’s all new private capital deal database. Information is collected and cross-verified from numerous public sources.
Venture Capital deals include equity and quasi-equity investments led by professionally managed funds, family offices, private investment firms/merchant banks, corporate strategic investment units, and mutual and hedge fund mangers.
- angel deals or angel deals in between venture rounds;
- subordinate debt investments by federal/provincial governments or retail funds as ways of economic and business support with no equity components;
- grants by federal/provincial economic development agencies or quasi-government agencies such as Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC);
- pure pharmaceutical development deals;
- growth equity with significant minority equity positions.
We are Canada's only privately and independently owned data provider -We are not owned by a foreign corporation, nor by an industry association; our information is unpretentiously and relevantly and first rated Canadian, comprehensive and trusted and unbiased without industry undue influence.
Latest posts by CPE Media Analytics (see all)
- Last business day before Christmas, the busiest financing closing day - January 1, 2019
- US VCs, International Corporate VCs primary backers of Canadian startups - September 17, 2017
- Foreign investors play ever important role in Canadian VC ecosystem - September 13, 2017