CPE Analytics is pleased to release the Canadian venture capital report for Q1 2020.
Summary of findings
- 5 large deals with deal value of $50 million or more attracted $624.7 million or 46% of the total amount.
- Top three provinces: Ontario ($636.6 million), Quebec ($359.2 million) and BC ($275.9 million), representing 47%, 26% and 20% of the total amount respectively.
- Top million-dollar cities: Toronto ($303.0 million), Quebec City ($270 million), Vancouver ($230.9 million), Kitchener, Ontario ($215.0 million).
- ICT and biotech companies raised $739.4 million (61%) and $354.7 million (26%) respectively.
- Early-stage companies raised $739.4 million or 54% of the total amount.
- Investors from 23 foreign countries or regions or overseas territories invested in Canadian companies.
- Top 5 countries: Canada ($782.1 million), US investors ($457.2 million), South Korea ($69.0 million), United Kingdom ($14.7 million), China ($10.0 million).
- Top five investor types: Private VC ($452.1 million), Corporate VC ($325.8 million), Private PE ($163.0 million), Institutional VC ($158.4 million), Family Offices ($104.8 million).
- Top five sub investor types: US Private VC ($298.7 million), Canadian PE ($163.0 million), Canadian Corporate VC ($153.0 million), Canadian Institutional VC ($141.1 million), Canadian Private VC ($136.6 million)
The impact of COVID-19 was limited in Q1 2020; the full impact will likely in Q2 and beyond. The diversity of the VC funding sources are to be watched as it will directly impact on the VC investments.
Full news release
Q1 2020 Canadian VC at $1.36B, Canadian investors lead
- 2020 Canadian Venture Capital at $5.3B, 2nd best since 2017 - March 1, 2021
- CSE, Mining, PE/VC backed IPOs – bright spots of 2020 Canadian IPOs - January 5, 2021
- First 9 months Canadian VC disbursements at $3.59B down 33% from same period in 2019 - December 8, 2020